This program is component regarding the (Res)MA History Programme. It isn’t available for BA pupils.
This Research Seminar is targeted on the archives associated with VOC or Dutch East Asia business. It partly functions as a practical, more particular counterpart associated with the Literature Seminar. It relates to a few of the general archival problems talked about here, but details them into the context of a seventeenth- and 18th-century Dutch-Asian commercial enterprise. Even though the VOC records formally comprised company management, in training additionally they functioned as a huge repository of valuable and secret home elevators a number of occasions in early-modern Asia.
The different staying VOC archives consist of several differing kinds as well as «genres» of papers, including maps. Further, they partly overlap with materials that fall beyond your confines of those collections, but they are closely associated with them, such as for example personal papers, missionary records, travel reports, as well as pieces of art. These diverse materials had been produced with various purposes, are comprised and organised in numerous means, and current information with various perspecitives.
This seminar considers and compares all of these sources from both an archival and a point that is historiographical of. In addition searches for similarities and differences when considering, in the one hand, the VOC archives and, having said that, archives of contemporaneous Dutch organizations and of other European trading that is overseas. Students who cannot(old that is read Dutch may make use of such other European documents, for instance those associated with the English East Asia business.
The pupil has acquired:
- 1 The power to individually recognize and choose literary works, making use of old-fashioned and techniques that are modern
- 2 The power to individually determine and choose sources, utilizing old-fashioned and techniques that are modern
- 3 The power to analyse and evaluate a corpus of sources by having a view to handling a specific historic issue;
- 4 the capacity to analyse and assess literary works having a view to handling a certain historical issue;
- 5 the capacity to individually formulate a definite and research that is well-argued, considering the concept and way of the industry also to reduce this question to available and workable sub-questions;
- 6 the capacity to independently put up and perform a initial research study that could make a share to existing scholarly debates;
- 7 the capacity to offer an obvious and well-founded dental and written report on research outcomes in proper English, whenever required, or Dutch, fulfilling the criteria of this https://essay4you.net control;
- 8 the capability to be involved in present debates within the specialisation;
- 9 the capacity to offer constructive feedback to and formulate criticism of this work of other people while the capability to assess the worth of such critique and feedback on one’s very very very own work and feature it;
- 10 (ResMA only): The capability to take part in a conversation for the theoretical fundamentals associated with control.
Learning goals, with respect to the specialisation
- 11 Thorough knowledge and comprehension of 1 regarding the specialisations or subspecialisations in addition to of this historiography for the specialisation, concentrating especially from the following; into the specialisation Archival Studies: archiving in a context that is colonial understanding of the value of archiving procedures for the manner in which a culture relates to its paperwork heritage generally speaking as well as its historic practice in specific; disclosure, including digital disclosure, of archives included in the wider history sector.
- 12 Thorough knowledge and comprehension regarding the theoretical, conceptual and methodological facets of the specialisation or subspecialisation under consideration, with a focus that is particular the immediate following: into the specialisation Archival Studies: theoretical fundamentals of archivistics; evaluation and choice of archives.
Learning goals, with respect to this extensive Research Seminar
- 13 Thorough comprehension of the organization of this VOC archives and exactly how it comes even close to the organization of closely relevant materials (personal documents, missionary records, etc.), to archives of contemporaneous Dutch organizations also to documents of other European international trading businesses.
- 14 Thorough knowledge of just exactly exactly how these different organisational maxims are linked to the goals and audiences of these materials additionally the type and tone of information they have.
- 15 the capacity to analyse and compare archives produced within an early-modern Dutch-non-Western context.
- 16 (ResMA only): the capacity to create and carry out research that is original raises brand brand new concerns, pioneers brand brand new apporaches and/or points to brand new guidelines for future research.